Closets Revisited

When I last posted an update on the closets both the office and guest bedroom closets were framed out, and now they’re (basically) completely done. We just need to add door catches.

Last progress update / trimmed / with doors

Painted the doors, added hardware and viola!

So complete B&A’s

img_7165img_8028

img_7593img_8029

Now that we’ve gone through that process once in its entirety, time do do it all over again! I’ve since started on finishing the master closets.

Current master B&A

img_7161img_8027

Advertisements

A little bit of everything: house progress

We’ve been focusing on a few different small projects/updates while waiting on avoiding finishing up the closet project. Those projects being:

Painting the master!

that awful color now only exists in the bathrooms!

 

New blinds everywhere!

no more discolored/broken mini blinds!

 

New outdoor lights!

with bug zapper lights in them! #smarthouse

 

A back patio/yard we can now use!

fullsizerender-2img_7881

bonus! fire pit!

img_7737

 

No more half dead tree in the front yard!

the tree

img_7875

Adding window trim

The original trim on all the windows was just one piece of trim below the windowsill, as seen here:

img_7650

We decided to add a little bit more to that, and make them actually look finished rather than just a hole in the wall.  So found a design we liked (thanks pinterest), made some trips to good old Home Depot for an assortment of 1×4’s 1×2’s 1×6’s and 1×3’s and got to framing.

After I framed them all out went back with some caulk and wood putty, then primed and painted (a bunch).  A pretty simple and cheap project (averaged around $20 per window) and the house has so much more character!

img_7649img_7664img_7668

(Isn’t that a great color in the last row?? WOULDN’T IT BE A GREAT IDEA IF THE ENTIRE HOUSE WAS PAINTED IN IT!?)

Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets!

Or lack thereof. When we moved in all the bedroom closets were like this:

img_7165

The closets were actually like this in a lot of the houses we looked at with our realtor.  She said that since the houses were built in the 70’s they originally had floor to ceiling paneled sliding doors, and as time went its really hard to find a place to buy replacement doors. AKA we get to build closets!

I started with the closets in the guest bedroom and the office, so I could practice a little bit before doing the 2 in the master. So it begins! Painted the interior, framed them out,

Drywalled and spackled,

Sanded, spackled, sanded, spackled, etc, primed, and said goodbye to more of the fiesta orange!img_7602

We still have to make the door jambs and hang the doors, but at least the messy part is done!

img_7165img_7654

Kitchen revamp, part one

While we wanna do a whole revamp of the kitchen, that’s a lot of work. So we’re breaking it down into phases.  Phase 1 = appliances, switching out the lighting (and patching wiring related drywall holes), preliminary paint, and replacing all the switches, outlets, and covers. Further down the road we’ll be refinishing the cabinets/replacing the hardware, putting in a backsplash, and getting new countertops.

So upon move in the kitchen looked like this:

img_7159

AKA beautiful florescent lighting, fiesta orange walls, off white outlets/switches, older white appliances (no refrigerator), a hall light over the sink, and a gigantic old phone jack which I sadly didn’t get a picture of.

Well we pulled all the panels/lighting down and Zach installed some dimmable can lights, and after pulling down the trim that framed the recess I discovered this gem.

img_7518

Perfect choice for a ceiling right? Also notice how the ceiling is the beautiful fiesta orange color that’s literally throughout the entire house? Another spot on decision by the previous owner.

So painted the ceiling white,

img_7539-copy

and knocked out the rest of the “phase 1” things. And this is where we’re at right now:

img_7641

img_7623

Way better, Phase 1 complete!

Monster Yard post

Hi everyone! Welcome to Pass Me The Hammer (thanks Court) a blog chronicling the renovation process on our little ranch-style home here in San Antonio, Texas!

When Zach and I found out Zach would be stationed here in San Antonio, looking for a house would could do some work to was pretty high on our list, and we found one thanks to our amazing realtor Babs!

IMG_7150

We were both really excited to have a house that had our own backyard…since we see dogs in our future.  Well in true reno spirit we found on that had a backyard that needed some work.

This is what it looked like on our walkthrough:

img_7156img_7157img_7155img_7154

It was a mess.

Zach did a lot of clearing/weed killing before I got to San Antonio, but once Maddie and I showed up we went to town on the yard.  We took down all of the overgrown trees/shrubs/bushes that lined the fence.

img_7509img_7554img_7511img_7517

Loads better, but still pretty far from finished. Zach and I cut down all the brush, raked the yard what felt like a million times, ripped out some chicken wire, took down the rotting planks from the fence and eventually had the yard all ready for seed!

img_7568

We raked the yard, again, and put down seed last weekend.  We had some green pop through a few days later, and now about 10 days later this is our yard:

img_7604img_7606

IT’S SO GREEN. SUCCESS!