Since we’ve basically already done this renovation once before on the guest/hall bath, the demo on the master went far more smoothly.
We basically gutted the entire thing. Vanity/sink, mirror cabinet, wall cabinet, toilet, and tub all ripped out and taken away – for free! Instead of waiting for the next bulk trash pickup day or getting a dumpster, we take full advantage of the free section on Craigslist (it was all gone within 24 hrs of posting!). Ripped out the tile tub surround, ripped out the tile floor, and cut back the drywall to the height we’re going to do the tile wainscoting.
Since we demo’d the whole bathroom we got a plumber in as well. Just like in the hall bath we had the shower head raised, the water controls raised, had a new mixing valve installed (that works with the trim kit we decided on), and generally just the plumbing done to the new standard.
We dropped in the tub, Zach framed out the shower niche, and that’s where we’re at!
Its finally time. Time to bring the master bath into the present.
We haven’t touched this bathroom since we moved in, so here’s what we’re working with:
Generally we’re keeping it pretty similar to the look of the guest bathroom reno we did, plus a few nicer touches. We’ll be installing a shower niche, using a little nicer trim kit for the tub/shower, a different light above the vanity, and subway tile wainscoting etc!
Its gonna be so great – and this is the last bit of the fiesta paint in the house!
After moving in together, Zach and I decided we were definitely going to need more book storage for our combined collection. We couldn’t really find anything at our price point that was exactly what we wanted, so I decided to use some leftover/new wood to make some!
We wanted the bookcases to be able to fit some of our oversize art books as well as fit the room to look quasi like built ins, so I adapted this plan from Ana White and went to town!
So happy with how these 3 bookcases turned out!
Our hall/guest bathroom. Like most things in this house, they were livable… but not ideal.
We did a ton in this bathroom, so I’ll just skip to the exciting part.
AWWWWW yes! So excited with how this turned out!
Loving how the tub surround is turning out! We still have to grout and lay the floor tile so major tiling B&A is on the way.
The bathrooms in this house are probably the biggest projects we’re taking on. They’re livable, but clearly pretty dated.. and generally just not the best. Here’s what we’re working with for the guest bathroom:
Not awful, but not great either.
Our rough remodel plan is:
-Install vent fan
-Get plumbing work done (heighten the shower head/replace and raise the mixing valve)
-Install new tub (we had originally planned to just get the tubs reglazed, but it turned out to be way cheaper just to get a new one)
-Cementboard/waterproof/tile tub surround
-Install can light above tub/ move switches
-Install new vanity/ toilet/ light fixture
Straightforward right? 🙂 The biggest problem we have with both the bathrooms (they’re pretty much identical) is space. While we were planning this project we decided we wanted to rip out the vanity/mirror cabinet/cabinet above the toilet, and come up with an alternative that doesn’t make the bathroom feel even smaller than it is. Additionally we’re trying to stay pretty light with our paint/tile choices since the bathroom doesn’t have any natural light.
But anyways, DEMO DAY(s)!
Demo was pretty tedious at first, but then we got a proper sledgehammer and borrowed a mini jackhammer from a friend and went to town!
It’s so exciting to have a clean slate!
When I last posted an update on the closets both the office and guest bedroom closets were framed out, and now they’re (basically) completely done. We just need to add door catches.
Last progress update / trimmed / with doors
Painted the doors, added hardware and viola!
So complete B&A’s
Now that we’ve gone through that process once in its entirety, time do do it all over again! I’ve since started on finishing the master closets.
Current master B&A
We’ve been focusing on a few different small projects/updates while
waiting on avoiding finishing up the closet project. Those projects being:
Painting the master!
that awful color now only exists in the bathrooms!
New blinds everywhere!
no more discolored/broken mini blinds!
New outdoor lights!
with bug zapper lights in them! #smarthouse
A back patio/yard we can now use!
bonus! fire pit!
No more half dead tree in the front yard!
The original trim on all the windows was just one piece of trim below the windowsill, as seen here:
We decided to add a little bit more to that, and make them actually look finished rather than just a hole in the wall. So found a design we liked (thanks pinterest), made some trips to good old Home Depot for an assortment of 1×4’s 1×2’s 1×6’s and 1×3’s and got to framing.
After I framed them all out went back with some caulk and wood putty, then primed and painted (a bunch). A pretty simple and cheap project (averaged around $20 per window) and the house has so much more character!
(Isn’t that a great color in the last row?? WOULDN’T IT BE A GREAT IDEA IF THE ENTIRE HOUSE WAS PAINTED IN IT!?)
Or lack thereof. When we moved in all the bedroom closets were like this:
The closets were actually like this in a lot of the houses we looked at with our realtor. She said that since the houses were built in the 70’s they originally had floor to ceiling paneled sliding doors, and as time went its really hard to find a place to buy replacement doors. AKA we get to build closets!
I started with the closets in the guest bedroom and the office, so I could practice a little bit before doing the 2 in the master. So it begins! Painted the interior, framed them out,
Drywalled and spackled,
Sanded, spackled, sanded, spackled, etc, primed, and said goodbye to more of the fiesta orange!
We still have to make the door jambs and hang the doors, but at least the messy part is done!