Our backyard is situated in such a way that the entire yard gets a fair amount of shade, other than by the AC unit. So over in AC alley we’ve decided to completely get rid of the grass and make it a graveled garden with raised beds! I knew I wanted to use cedar if possible, so I found these plans using cedar fenceposts ($$ saved) and went to town. I’d say they turned out pretty sharp!
We still have to gravel and get a dirt shipment, but phase one is complete!
Our hall/guest bathroom. Like most things in this house, they were livable… but not ideal.
We did a ton in this bathroom, so I’ll just skip to the exciting part.
AWWWWW yes! So excited with how this turned out!
Loving how the tub surround is turning out! We still have to grout and lay the floor tile so major tiling B&A is on the way.
The bathrooms in this house are probably the biggest projects we’re taking on. They’re livable, but clearly pretty dated.. and generally just not the best. Here’s what we’re working with for the guest bathroom:
Not awful, but not great either.
Our rough remodel plan is:
-Install vent fan
-Get plumbing work done (heighten the shower head/replace and raise the mixing valve)
-Install new tub (we had originally planned to just get the tubs reglazed, but it turned out to be way cheaper just to get a new one)
-Cementboard/waterproof/tile tub surround
-Install can light above tub/ move switches
-Install new vanity/ toilet/ light fixture
Straightforward right? 🙂 The biggest problem we have with both the bathrooms (they’re pretty much identical) is space. While we were planning this project we decided we wanted to rip out the vanity/mirror cabinet/cabinet above the toilet, and come up with an alternative that doesn’t make the bathroom feel even smaller than it is. Additionally we’re trying to stay pretty light with our paint/tile choices since the bathroom doesn’t have any natural light.
But anyways, DEMO DAY(s)!
Demo was pretty tedious at first, but then we got a proper sledgehammer and borrowed a mini jackhammer from a friend and went to town!
It’s so exciting to have a clean slate!
As I’m sure I’ve mentioned, one of the major reasons we settled on the house we’re in is because of the potential we saw in the back patio/yard. Last year we tackled clearing the yard and planting seed (it sounds so simple in retrospect), so now we get to move onto the fun stuff! Some of which is actually fun, and some of which is less fun and more necessary.
On the patio side of things, I recently did a bunch of painting. The covered patio was originally all (ceiling included) painted the same color as the siding of our house (a yellow-ish beige color) with green and white french doors, pictured here:
Zach and I wanted the patio to seem as spacious as possible so we went with a white on the walls, painted the french doors a navy so dark that it’s basically black, and did a haint blue on the ceiling.
That’s the first patio phase complete! Later this summer we’re hoping to accomplish the second phase which is refinishing & staining the cement slab, and encasing the existing support posts in wood/staining them. Stay tuned for more updates! I’ve been super busy!
After moving in I decided I wanted a little makeup vanity for our bedroom, and couldn’t quite find anything that was going to be the right size. So I decided to try my hand at building one. I found this plan online, and modified it roughly using this plan to the specs I wanted (2 drawers and a different depth).
I ended up going with a darker stain to compliment the other furniture in our bedroom
The mostly finished product! (sans pulls)
All in all I spent less that I would’ve to buy something that wasn’t quite perfect, and I think with my leftover materials I’ll try my hand at making some bookshelves!
When I last posted an update on the closets both the office and guest bedroom closets were framed out, and now they’re (basically) completely done. We just need to add door catches.
Last progress update / trimmed / with doors
Painted the doors, added hardware and viola!
So complete B&A’s
Now that we’ve gone through that process once in its entirety, time do do it all over again! I’ve since started on finishing the master closets.
Current master B&A
We’ve been focusing on a few different small projects/updates while
waiting on avoiding finishing up the closet project. Those projects being:
Painting the master!
that awful color now only exists in the bathrooms!
New blinds everywhere!
no more discolored/broken mini blinds!
New outdoor lights!
with bug zapper lights in them! #smarthouse
A back patio/yard we can now use!
bonus! fire pit!
No more half dead tree in the front yard!
This isn’t a very intense project, but much like the paint in the garage it makes SUCH a difference.
I rented a pressure washer for a day, and voila! Brand-new looking driveway and sidewalks!
The garage has gotten a makeover!
Floors painted, some walls painted, trash pile thrown away, 2 new garage door openers installed, and laundry area cleaned up. Still have to get some new shelving installed, but thats a project for a different weekend!